appositive relative clauses

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Wed Jul 18 22:17:56 UTC 2007

Lutz,
You're right of course that in English, Swedish, Danish and elsewhere we have
the type, sometimes called a contact relative, in which there is no overt
marker of relative clause status, but as far as I am aware the crucial
property
of these is that they are always restrictive - i.e. they serve to pick out a
specific subset of the set identified by the head noun. Moreover even when
there is no relativizer there is a dependency between the head noun and an
argument or adjunct in the relative clause.
I guess my query to you is a hypothesis that in an appositive (or
appositional)
construction there would be nothing to make us want to call it a relative if
there wasn't a relative pronoun or complementizer present. If I try to imagine
what such an example would look like, I keep having to insert an overt
argument
to keep track of what's going on - perhaps something like 'Bill, the
boss fired
him, was upset' and then I get very close to a parenthetical. But maybe
this is
just me being anglo (or north/west Germanic) -centric.
Wolfgang's examples in his second post are very interesting but still
restrictive rather than appositional in the traditional sense, at least to
judge by the translations, so I'd agree with him that we need a
different term.
Best,
Nigel

--
Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Associate Vice-President for Graduate Education

Mailing address:     School of Languages, Linguistics & Cultures
                     University of Manchester
                     Manchester M13 9PL
                     United Kingdom

Tel (direct):        +44-(0)-161-275-3194
Fax:                 +44-(0)-161-275-3031