appositive relative clauses

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Jul 19 06:13:11 UTC 2007

Nigel Vincent wrote:
> Is there an issue of terminology here? I've always understood appositive
> relatives to be those which accompany but do not restrict the meaning
> of a
> definite head  or a proper noun - e.g. 'My brother, who is an
> engineer' in the
> circumstance in which I only have one brother and the NP is therefore
> already
> uniquely referring without the relative.
Yes, the term "appositive relative clause" is generally used in this
sense, but this terminology is confusing, because "apposition" is
normally used in one or two other senses. (Paul Hopper's term
"appositional relative clause" is not conventional, and I think it is an
result of the confusion.)

For this reason, it is useful to have a detailed terminological
dictionary such as Glottopedia (see
http://urts120.uni-trier.de/glottopedia/index.php/Appositive_relative_clause).
Eventually we should be able to settle on less confusing terminology
(e.g. in this case "nonrestrictive relative clause"), but to achieve
that, we first need to have a detailed record of terminological usage.
So your contributions to Glottopedia are welcome!

Martin

P.S. Lutz's original query was about nonrestrictive relative clauses
without a relative pronoun or particle, but apparently he is primarily
interested in nonrestrictive relative clauses that are not marked for
subordination at all. I can very well imagine that there is indeed a
tendency for zero-coded relative clause constructions to be avoided in
nonrestrictive use, though I think there are few reports of
nonrestrictive relative clauses differing in their coding from
restrictive relative clauses. Maybe this is because nonrestrictive
relative clauses occur mostly in written language, and most languages
are not used in writing.

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)