Fwd: Re: zero-marked true partitives

Frans Plank Frans.Plank at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Mon Jul 23 07:39:24 UTC 2007

same goes for German:

PSEUDO:	fuenf Kilo/*Kilos Kartoffel
REAL:		fuenf Kilo/Kilos von den Kartoffeln

Note the obligatory inflectional inertness of the quantifying-unit
word in the first construction -- which suggests (to me) that the
"pseudo-partitive" construction is a classifier construction.
Perhaps David has kept the correspondence some of us once had on this.

I've not checked, but I do believe German grammars mention this sort of thing.

Frans