inquiry about the anti-topic sentence

zhou zsh9986 at 163.COM
Fri May 11 19:35:14 UTC 2007

    ---------- 转发邮件信息 ----------
发件人:"zhou <zsh9986 at 163.com>"
发送日期:2007-05-12 03:30:45
收件人:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
主题: inquiry about the anti-topic sentence
Hello EveryoneGundel(1988)has ever said that almost all the Topic-Comment sentence has a equivant Comment-Topic sentence, but one type of T-C sentence,that is the typical T-C sentence do not have an equivalent one,    for example,T-C sentence include the following three category:1).left dislocation:That man, he is from Beijing.2)topicalization:That man , I like.3)Typical T-C sentence:My work, I am crazy. She said ,that only the two categories of tha above have equivalent anti-topic sentence,that is C-T sentence.for example,1)He is from Beijing, that man.(right -dislocation)2)Sounds good, the suggestion.(RIGHT TOPICALIZATION)But generally languages do not have the third,for example,*I am crazy,my work. However ,Chinese have the third categories.For example:na4 chang3 huo3 xing4 kui1  xiao1 fang2 yuan2 lai2 de kuai4.That fire, fortunate the fireman comes hurriedly. and also we can say:xing4 kui1  xiao1 fang2 yuan2 lai2 de kuai4,na4 chang3 huo3.the meaning is approximately to the above. I wonder does anyone know any other language has this kind of phenomenan? or this is only exit in Chinese? Is this a partilly universals in Topic prominenet language?Do any one can explain this phenomenan? that only two T-C sentence have equivelent C-T sentence,but Chinese (maybe some other language)do have the reversal one? what kind of works or papers can I refer to?THANK YOU  周士宏/Zhou Shihong(Chinese name)
Joe S.Zhou(English name)
Instructor of
Institute of linguistics,College of Chinese Langugae,
Beijing Normal University 100875

Now work in

Confucius Institute, Oklahoma University (OUCI)
Rm D33,Buchanan,Cross center
Norman Campus
Oklahoma University 73072
Tel:405-325-8020(H)