Grammaticalization ABLATIVE>ALLATIVE in Italian dialects

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Sun May 13 09:50:47 UTC 2007

Dear Giorgio,
are you sure that the two 'da's' have the same etymological background?
To my knowledge, the ABL da stems from 'de ab' (Latin ABL), whereas the
ALL da stems from 'de ad' (Latin ALL). Hence, we would not have to deal
with the grammaticalization path ABL>ALL, but with a merger of two
originally distinct forms (and functions) into one form. The
distribution de + a(d) > da with animate objectives and solely a(d) with
inanimates seems rather typical (if you take into account the use of
ABL>PART cases to indicate partial affection of animate 'patients'  (see
the frequent path [ABL>]PART/GEN to indicate an animate Spilt).
Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Giorgio Iemmolo schrieb:

> Dear linguists,
>
> I write you again about Gallosiculo dialects. In these dialects and in
> Central Italian Dialect (Umbria), I found the preposition "da",  an
> ablative marker (separation, motion from) to mark datives and human
> direct object . In Italian, this preposition is also used as an
> allative with human nouns and animate definite nouns, like :"Vado da
> Maria" "I go to Mary"  but, with inanimate nouns, the allative
> preposition "a" is used: "Vado a casa" "I go home"
>
> I think that in these dialects, the pathway of grammaticalization of
> preposition "da" could be: ABLATIVE>ALLATIVE>INDIRECT OBJECT
> (animate)>DIRECT OBJECT (human). I have many examples of allative
> preposition used to mark indirect object/differential object marking.
> Instead, I don't find any example of use of ablative adpositions with
> allative-sense with animate nouns, as "da" in Italian.
> Does anyone knows a language that use an ablative adposition to
> express allative with animate nouns? (it could be very good to find a
> similar example of grammaticalization as above mentioned!)
>
> I will appreciate any suggestion.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Giorgio

Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze

Primary contact:

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München