Question about head-marked datives

hartmut at RUC.DK hartmut at RUC.DK
Tue Oct 23 10:31:55 UTC 2007

Dear Enrique,
there has been mentioning of Spanish clitics, but what about Modern Greek?
Modern Greek is more complicated since there is a 'dative' clitic on the verb
(actually a genitive used to mark Recipients), but no Dative proper in nouns,
so the clitic cannot co-index (head-mark) Dative objects in the same way it can
co-index Direct (Accusative) Objects.
Notice though a curious split with 'double accusatives' where the one
corresponds to a Dative clitic on the verb (see Hartmut Haberland and Ole
Nedergaard Thomsen 1991, The long and winding road towards a theory of
grammatical relations, Journal of Pragmatics 16(2):179-206, where this problem
is discussed on p. 191-3, also with respect to a curious case reported by Borg
and Comrie in Maltese with IO-marked NPs with accusative co-indexing on the
Verb).
Regards, Hartmut