"World" subjects of meteorological predicates

Anna Bugaeva bugaeva at JAPAN.EMAIL.NE.JP
Fri Feb 15 06:36:28 UTC 2008

In Ainu, there is a group of meteorological predicates with an incorporated
subject (S) sir 'appearance, land, circumstances'. They are usually regarded
in Ainu as "complete verbs" (Tamura 2000: 41, Bugaeva 2004: 29) with zero
valency, because they cannot take any arguments. Here is a list of
meteorological predicates from Nakagawa 1995.

sir-peker <appearance-be.light>  'it gets light, dawns'

sir-kunne <appearance-be.dark>  'it is dark'

sir-pirka <appearance-be.good>  'the weather is good'

sir-popke <appearance-be.warm>  'the weather is warm'

sir-sesek <appearance-be.hot>  'the weather is hot'

sir-homar <appearance-be.dim>  'it gets dark'

sit-tuyma <appearance-be.far>  'it is far'

sin-rarak <appearance-be.slippery>  'it is slippery'

(the latter two predicates are not stricktly meteorological).

There are also similar compounds with nouns denoting seasons (sak 'summer'
etc.) and time of day (ankes 'early morning') which have a verbalizing
effect.

sir-sak <appearance-summer> 'become summer'

sir-mata <appearance-winter> 'become winter'

sir-paykar <appearance-spring> 'become spring'

sir-cuk <appearance-autumn> 'become autumn'

sir-ankes <appearance-early.morning> 'become early morning'

sir-onuman <appearance-evening> 'become evening'.

REFERENCES

Bugaeva, Anna (2004) Grammar and folklore texts of the Chitose dialect of
Ainu (Idiolect of Ito Oda).ELPR Publication Series A-045. Suita: Osaka
Gakuin University.

Tamura, Suzuko (1988/2000) The Ainu language. ICHEL Linguistic Studies v. 2,
Tokyo: Sanseidoo.

Nakagawa, Hiroshi (1995) Ainugo chitose hoogen jiten [A dictionary of the
Chitose dialect of Ainu]. Tokyo: Soofuukan.