"World" subjects of meteorological predicates

Don Stilo stilo at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Feb 14 20:34:43 UTC 2008

Dear Pål,

Persian and many other Iranian languages use the word hæva (Arabic
LW) "weather, air" for some meteorological phenomena:

(These examples are cited in colloquial Persian)

(1)
hæva særd=e/hæva særd nist
weather cold=is/weather cold isn't (etc. -- =e is enclitic, but nist
is not)
"it's cold (out)"

(2)
hæva baruni=e
weather rainy=is
"it's rainy" (but see * below)

(3)
hæva æbri=e
weather cloudy=is
"it's cloudy (out)"

(4a)
hæva tarik=e
weather dark=is
"it's dark (out)"

(4b)
hæva dare tarik mishe (sh = s-hacek)
weather PROG:3S dark become:PRES:3S
"it is getting dark"

* but the above are different from what would be verbal forms in some
languages (English, Slavic, etc.) where in Iranian languages the
corresponding noun is used where possible in place of hæva:

(5a)
barun miad
rain comes
"it is raining, it (usually) rains"

(5b)
barun miad
rain comes
"it is raining, it (usually) rains"

(6)
bærf miad
rain comes
"it is snowing, it (usually) snows"

(7)
bad miad
wind comes
"it is windy, it's blowing"

And hæva would not be used for "it is day/night" "it became morning/
night" (these would be like the forms 5 -7 "morning/night became", etc.

Best,

Don Stilo