Second Conference of the Swedish Association for Language and Cognition

Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm tamm at LING.SU.SE
Thu Jul 3 22:25:09 UTC 2008

                                    Second Conference of the Swedish Association for Language and Cognition
SALC
June 10-12, 2009

Arranged by the departments of English,
Scandinavian Languages, and General Linguistics
Stockholm University
Stockholm, Sweden

First Circular
We are pleased to announce the second SALC conference, SALC-2009, where we hope to bring together
folks from within all areas of language and cognition studies in Sweden and internationally. We
welcome discussion on a wide variety of issues within the general area of language and cognition, and
we particularly encourage contributions within the areas of language acquisition and psycholinguistics.

        Call for papers
We invite the submission of abstracts for oral or poster presentations for the "Second Conference of the
Swedish Association for Language and Cognition (SALC) / Svenska Sällskapet för Språk och Kognition
(SSSK)" to be held at Stockholm University between June 10th and 12th, 2009. In addition to individual
talks, we also invite suggestions for theme sessions (see below). Presentations should involve research
based on structures and processes of general cognition (e.g. perception, memory and reasoning) and
social cognition (e.g. joint attention and imitation), and as affecting such structures and processes. The
conference, as SALC in general, is intended to be a forum for the exchange of ideas between
disciplines, fields of study and theoretical frameworks. Topics include, but are not limited to:
·       psycholinguistic  approaches to language and cognition
·       language acquisition/use and cognition
·       language structure and cognition
·       language and cognitive development and evolution
·       language change and cognition
·       language and gesture
·       language and consciousness
·       linguistic typology and cognition
·       linguistic relativity
Proposals for theme sessions should be sent to SALC2009 at english.su.se before 30 September 2008.
They should include a title and a short description of the theme. Theme session organisers will be
notified October 15. At the same time, a call for abstracts for the theme sessions will go out.
The deadline for abstract submission (for both individual talks and theme sessions) is November 30,
2008. Please send two copies of an abstract of about 400 words (excluding references) to
SALC2009 at english.su.se , with your name and affiliation written under the title in one copy; one copy
must remain anonymous. Presentations should last 20 minutes with 5 minutes for questions. After the
process of peer-revision, e-mail notifications will be sent out by March 1, 2009.
Conference fee: 55 Euros for SALC members, 45 Euros for students, 75 Euros for others. The SALC
membership fee is 10 Euros per year and can be paid together with the conference fee.

The Swedish Association for Language and Cognition (SALC) was formed on June 16 2006 at an
international conference at Umeå University involving mostly linguists, but also psychologists and
cognitive scientists working on a variety of topics and utilising different methodologies. The major goal
of the association is to promote the study of the relationship between language and cognition, both in
Sweden and internationally. This involves any type of research in which language is not treated in
isolation (e.g. as a “module”), but both as based on structures and processes of general cognition and
social cognition, and as affecting such structures and processes. The association is intended to be a
forum for cooperation and exchange of ideas between disciplines, fields of study and theoretical
frameworks.