ergatives and topics

Andrej Malchukov andrej_malchukov at EVA.MPG.DE
Wed Jul 16 09:35:42 UTC 2008

Another scenario for (some of the) cases mentioned, which I am more
sympathetic with, is that the ergative markers originate from discourse
markers, in particular, focus markers. I discuss the phenomenon of
"focal ergativity" in a recent paper (“Animacy and asymmetries in
differential case marking”. /Lingua/ 118 (2008), 203-221, where I also
mention Meithei and refer to further literature), and Bill McGregor
published numerous articles on similar phenomena (which he calls
"optional ergativity"). This is of course not incompatible with what
Alec Coupe suggests, as the discourse marker might start to be used
first for disambiguation purposes (hence "optional ergativity"), and
later become grammaticalized into regular ergative markers.
best regards,
Andrej Malchukov