Crackers

Bernard Fradin bernard.fradin at LINGUIST.JUSSIEU.FR
Tue Jun 24 15:45:32 UTC 2008

Dear Frans and everybody,

As expected, in French nothing corresponds exactly to the situation
we observe in English.
The verb that corresponds to crack is craqueler (and not craquer). We
can have the following:

(1)  Le vase a une craquelure  (< craqueler+ure, -ure nouns regularly
denote the result cf. blessure 'wounding' < blesser 'to wound').

(2) a. Le vase est craquelé.
	b. Le vase se craquèle. but
	c. *Le vase craquèle.

However, we do have (3); other examples in TLF:

(3) La chaleur a craquelé le vase.
       'Heat cracks the vase'

For fissurer < lat. fissura 'small crack', the distribution is
slightly different and more in keeping with what we have in German:

(4)  Le vase a une fissure.
(5) a.  Le vase est fissuré.
	b. Le vase se fissure.
	c. *Le vase fissure.
(6) *La chaleur a fissuré le vase'

but (7) is ok, obviously:

(7)  La chaleur a fait se fissurer le vase.
	'Heat make the vase crack'

Best,

Bernard