inchoative-causative pairs

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Wed Jun 25 08:54:38 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Paolo Ramat
To: Bernard Fradin ; LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: Crackers

Hallo to everybody!
The Italian crackers look as follow:
To my surprise a verb meaning "being partially fractured though without the
parts completely separate or without the whole completely destroyed" hardly
exists. There is  the subst. fessura (<Lat. fissura)
but the verb fessurarsi (intrans., reflex.) is very rare. And a frattura (<
Lat. fractura) means something different: you may have/cause (trans.) a
frattura of a bone, but not of something, "preferably an artefact, of
brittle consistency, hard but breakable, such as vases or window panes made
of glass, plates made of porcelain".
Moreover, you can hardly say ?*Il vaso si fessura (usually a vase si rompe,
"cracks").
Thus, Italian does not completely overlap the French usages: ?*Il calore ha
fatto fessurare /fessurarsi il vaso
I would say that rompersi is used also for fessurarsi, (the main difference
being that trans. rompere exists along with the  reflex. rompersi,  while
*fessurare (trans.) does not exist  (any longer)). The default form would be
a paraphrase: Il calore ha prodotto una fessura sul / nel vaso .

Best,
Paolo

Prof. Paolo Ramat
Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS)
Responsabile della classe di Scienze Umane
V.le Lungo Ticino Sforza 56, 27100 Pavia - Italia
Tel. +39 0382 375811 Fax +39 0382 375899