Imperfective and simple present distinction

Nicholas Ostler nostler at CHIBCHA.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Jun 26 08:47:44 UTC 2008

Well, how about Japanese?
iku 'go' itte iru 'be going, be gone'
siru 'get to know' sitte iru 'be aware, know'

Or English
'I go' 'I'm going' (both of which have potentially present and future
time reference)
or the southern Romance languages
Spanish:  'voy' 'estoy andando'
Italian: 'vado' 'sono andando'

The verb 'to be' makes this distinction in Hindi, athough not other
(lexical)
 verbs:
wo di:va:na: hai 'he is mad' (i.e. 'is now')
pya:r di:va:na: ho:ta hai 'love is mad' (i.e. 'is generally')

Sorry these examples are so 'close to home'. I presume this phenomenon
is pretty universal.

In all these languages at least, the distinction is just as available in
the past.

Nicholas Ostler

--
Nicholas Ostler
Chairman, Foundation for Endangered Languages
nostler at chibcha.demon.co.uk