Imperfective and simple present distinction

Östen Dahl oesten at LING.SU.SE
Thu Jun 26 09:10:34 UTC 2008

Before the discussion storm breaks out - didn't we have exactly this issue
on LINGTYP already? On Jan. 19, Kazuha asked:

"I am looking for a language which has both plain present tense form and
distinctively marked imperfective aspect form (not progressive).  All the
languages I know seem to either use imperfective only in the past
tense(Romance, for example) or mark imperfective in the present tense but do
not have a separate plain present tense form (Slavic, for example)."

...and here it was explicit that progressives were not relevant, so that
would answer Nicholas' examples.

- Östen