FW: Fw: Possession/modification by simple juxtaposition

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at UNESCO.ORG
Fri Nov 21 14:32:22 UTC 2008

Absolutely, and even in spoken Arabic, there is a clear distinction between:

sayyâra    jamîla
car.F         beautiful.F
"a beautiful car"

and

sayyârat    Jamîla
car.F.CS    Jamila.F
"Jamîla's car"

Feminine singular nouns have a distinct construct state (CS) marker -at rather than simple feminine -a.

Best,

Steve Hewitt

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for ALT [mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf Of Eitan Grossman
Sent: 21 November 2008 15:16
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Fw: Possession/modification by simple juxtaposition

I would like to respectfully disagree with Raffaele Simone. The Arabic annexation construction, at least in Classical Arabic, is rather unlike juxtaposition: apart from some few exceptions, both head and dependent are marked formally, the former by the absence of nunation, the latter by the genitive case. For a full exposition of this in the Semitic languages in general, one might look at G. Goldenberg's "Attribution in the Semitic Languages" (Langues orientales anciennes: philologie et linguistique 5-6, 1995: 1-20, reprinted in Studies in Semitic Linguistics).

Best,
Eitan Grossman