Q: a type of causative-applicative polysemy

peterarkadiev peterarkadiev at YANDEX.RU
Thu Apr 9 06:34:30 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,

does anyone know of well-documented and more or less systematic examples of situations where a causative derivation aplied to an agentive intransitive verb like 'walk' would yield a transitive verb like 'carry' (or 'work' -> 'work on something')? I call this an instance of causative-applicative polysemy since the new argument introduced by the derivation is not the Causing Agent but rather a Patient.

I know of 'assistive' causatives like 'dance' -> 'dance with somebody', but here the new argument is not a Patient.

Many thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Arkadiev
Institute of Slavic Studies