demonstrative or pronoun?

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 7 16:30:02 UTC 2009

In Tamil (on the telephone) one would use the name followed by the verb for
'speak' in the first person singular. See Asher and Annamalai's (2002)
textbook (
http://books.google.com/books?id=iMZpM40xFfsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=asher+tamil&ei=xlR8SrKtG4HUlAS4irSmDQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false)
for an example.
In languages such as Japanese, which are pro-drop and where verbs don't
inflect for person and number, I imagine it would be hard to tell the two
possibilities apart (in this case, both would be simply *Jon desu*).

Hope this helps.
Siva