German MIT

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Dec 17 21:06:41 UTC 2009

> For the turn with (SUBJ), let's start with the Bible:
> Job. 12:2 אָמְנָם כִּי אַתֶּם־עָם וְעִמָּכֶם תָּמוּת חָכְמָה׃
> LXX: εἶτα ὑμεῖς ἐστε ἄνθρωποι ἦ μεθ' ὑμῶν τελευτήσει σοφία
> Vulgate: ergo vos estis soli homines et vobiscum morietur sapientia
> Luther: Ja, ihr seid die Leute, mit euch wird die Weisheit sterben!
> King James: No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.
> etc. etc.
>

> Moshe Taube
> mstaube at mscc.huji.ac.il <mailto:mstaube at mscc.huji.ac.il>
I think this is not the same construction.  In the Biblical example,
"wisdom" is not *explicative* or *identificational* with respect to
"you" the way it is in the originally defined construction.  Rather,
the preposition "with", or Hebrew ʕim, is used in a more or less
literal comitative sense.

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/