query: sarcastic antonymic nicknames

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Wed Nov 25 14:22:31 UTC 2009

I think Suzanne is absolutely right in suggesting that the phenomenon
I'm interested in does not necessarily involve sarcasm.  She suggests
"irony" instead, but perhaps an even more felicitous name might be
simply "Humorous Antonymic Nicknames".

(BTW, I've noticed that the equivalents in various languages of the
English words "sarcasm" and "irony" may themselves differ subtly in
meaning, which makes any cross-linguistic analysis of the phenomenon
even more challenging.)

A little bit under 24 hours after posting the original query, I've
received a slew of examples from English, a few nice examples from other
European languages, but very little from the rest of the world -- the
only clear-cut example so far coming from the Australian language Bardi
(thanks to Claire Bowern).  So are Humorous Antonymic Nicknames really a
mostly European phenomenon?  Or is it just that us
mostly-European-language-speaking typologists don't know enough about
the relevant facts in other parts of the world?

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/