query: sarcastic antonymic nicknames

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Nov 26 14:47:50 UTC 2009

There is something similar (if not identical) in Indonesia, where little
children are often addressed, by their parents and others, as "elder
brother/sister/sibling", even if they have no younger sibling who would
constitute an appropriate "reference point" for such an appelation.  I'm
pretty certain, however, that such usages in Indonesia do not usually
involve humour or sarcasm or anything like that.

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/