Fwd: where > relativizer?

Thomas Hanke thhanke at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 22 11:21:30 UTC 2009

Dear all,

well, just in case anyone else wanted to see my direct reply to Peter.
(I was a little surprised to see two other mentionings of German.
Until I realized that I sent a direct reply.)

Krapova's article I mentioned includes a hint to a further spread to
complementizing.

Best,

Thomas

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas Hanke <thhanke at googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 23:45
Subject: Re: where > relativizer?
To: peterarkadiev <peterarkadiev at yandex.ru>

German "wo" 'where' is used as an NP relativizer in varying degrees in
different varieties, with or without another inflecting relative
marker:

Der Mann, den wo ich gesehen habe, …
'the man (REL.DAT) where I saw, …'

(that relativizer would be probably much more common if it weren't in
the focus of normativists)

There's quite some literature on German dialects, in English e.g.
Salzmann, M., 2006. Resumptive pronouns and matching effects in Zurich
German relative clauses as distributed deletion. (on Martin's home
page)

And even better – googling for some other reference on German – I
stumbled over an article to appear on Bulgarian:
Krapova, I., Bulgarian relative and factive clauses with an invariant
complementizer. J. Lingua (2009), doi:10.1016/j.lingua.2009.08.002
(lear.unive.it/bitstream/10278/1180/1/LINGUA_1617.pdf)

"Among the Slavic languages Bulgarian however seems to be unique in
two respects: (1) it is the only language in which the invariable
relative marker is associated diachronically with the wh-adverbial
where, and (2) it is the only language which (apparently) has extended
the use of the relative marker into the domain of sentential
complementation, as in (1b) above."

Hope that helps a little.

Best,

Thomas