owe/must

Alexander V Bochkov bochkov at HAWAII.EDU
Sat Feb 13 22:26:58 UTC 2010

Dear Nigel Vincent,

Your observation works for Russian, too:

(1) Ia dolzhen jemu 200 rublej.
     I   owe      him   200 roubles
     "I owe him 200 roubles."

(2) Ia dolzhen pozvonit' jemu segodnja vecherom.
      I  owe      call.PFV  him   today      evening
     "I should call him tonight."

I believe that the word "dolzhen" (other forms: dolzhna - feminine, dolzhno - neuter) is an adjective in Russian, and modal verbs as a class do not exist in Russian (fellow typologists, feel free to correct me!)

Alexander Bochkov
MA, Second Language Studies

Fulbright Scholar 2006-2008