basic clauses without tense-aspect marking

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Jun 24 12:07:33 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I am writing to inquire whether anyone is familiar with a systematic
cross-linguistic study examining whether or not languages allow for the
possibility of basic (but non-telegraphic) clauses with no expression
(either morphological or periphrastic) of tense-aspect. For example,
whereas in most or all European languages, basic clauses must be marked
for tense-aspect, in many or most Southeast Asian languages, such
marking is optional.

(By "basic (non-telegraphic)" clauses, I mean to exclude things like
small clauses, participial clauses, and other clause types that occur in
specific syntactic environments, and also things such as newspaper
headlines, which are associated with specific linguistic registers where
brevity is at a premium.)

Although there have been numerous cross-linguistic studies of
tense-aspect marking, by Östen Dahl, Matthew Dryer, Leon Stassen, and
others, as far as I can recall (though I don't have access right now to
most of the sources), none of these studies address this question
directly. For example, Matthew Dryer's WALS chapter "Position of
Tense-Aspect Affixes" contains a feature value "no tense-aspect
inflection"; however, this differs from what I am looking for in the
following two respects: (a) languages with tense-aspect inflection may
make only optional use of it, eg., according to Dryer, Standard
Indonesian; and (b) languages with no tense-aspect inflection may have
obligatory periphrastic marking of tense-aspect — eg., if I'm not
mistaken, Yoruba.

My impression is that there is a linguistic area extending from Mainland
Southeast Asia through the Indonesian archipelago all the way to the New
Guinea Birds Head (where I am now) in which optional tense-aspect
marking is the norm; but I would like to know how widespread this is in
other parts of the world (I suspect that it is not). So if anybody is
familiar with examples of languages outside the above region which also
permit basic (non-telegraphic) clauses without tense-aspect marking,
please let me know, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/