Gabelentz at Humboldt

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Thu Jun 24 14:45:18 UTC 2010

Dear Martin,
just a brief note:
> If you want to know more about Georg von der Gabelentz (who coined the
> term "typology"),
Well, I would be a bit cautious concerning the use of the term 'coined'.
It would perhaps be better to say 'in the writings of whom the use of
the term 'typology' has been documented first' or 'hwo applied the term
'tyüplogiy' for "grammatical statistics" (Gabelentz' words). If we start
from the fact that the term /type/typus/ etc. had been widely used in
the the late 18th century and early 19th century (Linné, Cuvier,
Lamarck, Goethe, Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, to name just a few), we can
safely assume that it belonged to the standard repertoire of early
'classificatory sciences'. By that time, compounds based on '-logy'
seemed to have been quite stylish, too (it would be quite interesting to
collect all the -logies' coined by that time). This is e.g. illustrated
by the term 'morphology', introduced by Goethe and Carl Friedrich
Burdach 1817 (Goethe used the term already in a diary notice from 1796.
Burdach also introduced the term 'bio-logy'). From this we can infer
that the compound (German) Typo-logie has been in the air since long,
even though Gabelentz  reclaims its use to 'baptize' the above-mentioned
method: "Dürfte man ein angeborenes Kind taufen, ich würde den Namen
Typologie wählen". Note that Gabelentz does not say that he has
'invented' or 'coined' the term, but that he has chosen the 'name'. If
we take this quote literally, we have to assume that the 'name' had
already been given - else it would have been difficult for Gabelentz to
'choose' it.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze *

/Primary contact: /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

Postanschrift / Postal address: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486 (Secretary)

          0049-(0)89-2180-5343 (Office)

Fax:  0049-(0)89-2180-16567 // 0049-(0)89-2180-5345

Email: W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
<mailto:W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de> /// Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de
<mailto:Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de>

Web: http://www.ats.uni-muenchen.de/personen/professoren/schulze/index.html

http://www.wolfgangschulze.in-devir.com

/Second contact: /

Katedra Germanistiký

Fakulta humanitných vied

Univerzita Mateja Béla / Banská Bystrica

Tajovského 40

SK-97401 Banská Bystrica

Tel: (00421)-(0)48-4465108

Fax: (00421)-(0)48-4465512