temporal constructions: distance-past and distance-posterior

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Fri Mar 19 16:32:14 UTC 2010

Dear Chad,

I discuss these constructions in a typological context in my 1997 book
"From space to time: Temporal adverbials in the world's languages" (now
freely available from my website,
http://www.eva.mpg.de/lingua/staff/haspelmath/publications_haspelmath.php).

I call them distance-past constructions (1-2 below, §6.2 of my book) and
distance-posterior constructions (3-4 below, §8.3.3 of my book).

Best wishes,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6