journal publication and journal lists

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Mon Mar 29 11:35:54 UTC 2010

What Martin says is very interesting and prompts me to ask a question
that takes us well away from Wolfgang's original request (apologies
for that, Wolfgang).
On Wednesday I will be attending on behalf of the British Academy a
meeting in Brussels about the European Research Index for the
Humanities (ERIH). Researchers of my acquaintance in several countries
and across a range of disciplines have been in general very negative
about the idea of drawing up a ranking list of journals (the
Australians have done something rather similar recently under the
banner of ERA). I wonder what members of this list feel about a) the
general idea of categorizing journals in this way as opposed to
letting the rankings be derived bottom-up as a function of citation
numbers; b) the particular treatment of linguistics and philology
journals within ERIH.
Nigel

--
Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Associate Vice-President for Research (Graduate Education)

PA: Michelle Davies (michelle.davies at manchester.ac.uk) 0161-275-2227

Room W1.21 Samuel Alexander Building

Mailing address:     School of Languages, Linguistics & Cultures
                      University of Manchester
                      Manchester M13 9PL
                      United Kingdom

Tel (direct):        +44-(0)-161-275-3194
Fax:                 +44-(0)-161-275-3031