journal publication and journal lists

Daniel Everett dlevere at ILSTU.EDU
Mon Mar 29 12:04:31 UTC 2010

Nigel and all,

Ranking journals - if by that is meant polling linguists to see which they consider most important - seems more subjective (though that is not to say that it is wrong necessarily) than providing their "Impact Factor", which is the kind of bottom-up ranking you mention. It is important in number of US disciplines, especially in larger disciplines such as anthropology where there is a nearly unmanageable number of journals. The impact factor is summarized in a couple of different places for those unfamiliar with it. Here is the wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_factor (this also discusses problems with the IF).

There isn't any perfect way of assessing impact of research being done, as we all know. But the IF supplemented by citation index figures is certainly one way to assess journals.

Dan