Atkinson on phoneme inventories in Science

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Sun Apr 17 16:19:43 UTC 2011

Johanna's remarks and observations are really 'to the point'. Let me
just stress/add one aspect, namely the 'nature' of the implication
underlying Atkinson's hypothesis: It is a well-known assumption in
relevance logics that in order to set up a true implication, the
antecedent and consequent must be related in terms of relevance (e.g. by
sharing some kind of common predicate). Thus, the phrase "if I am in New
York, two and three are five" is superficially true in terms of a
'material implication', but the antecedent and the consequent lack any
common, evident relevance. This phrase comes close to a formula like "if
a population is of size X, then the phoneme inventory of their language
is of size Y". In order to assert a relevant relation, we have to
describe in details at least one necessary condition that holds for both
the antecedent ("if a population is of size X" and the consequent ("the
phoneme inventory of their language is of size Y"). Else, the
'implicative' relation between these two propositions would be irrelevant.

A famous example is the statistical observation that the number of
storks in a village is in relation to the number of children born in
this village, cf. Hofer et al. 2004. New Evidence for the Theory of the
Stork. In: /Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology /18, S. 88-92. This
correlation suggested by statistical data is based on a non-causal
factor namely the degree of urbanization that may cause both the
reduction of nesting sites for storks and the spreading of  'nuclear
families'. Hence, the statistical data just strengthen the
folk-scientific hypothesis according to which 'storks bring the babies',
even though the implication is not mark for a relevant relation.....

The 'marriage' between two statistical observations must not just been
'plausible', but based on a comprehensive scenario that relates in a
relevant way basic properties of the two statements formulating these
observations. One major point would be to formulate predictions that
would be applicable to representatives of the antecedent within yet
knowing about the quality of a possible consequent. For instance, in teh
given case relevance would be suggested if we start from a population
size X without knowing anything (!) of their language and its phoneme
inventory. The hypothesis would be that the unknown language should have
an phoneme inventory of size Y. By then (!) unveiling the given language
and its phoneme inventory, we can check the assumed consequent against
its antecedent. In case the relation supports the implicature and in
case we can repeat this calculus in a statistically significant number
of instances, we might set up the hypothesis that the relation between
antecedent and consequent must share some kind of relevance, even though
we still have to model this relevance.

As far as I can see, Atkinson does not apply this basic technique of
evaluating a superficially 'material implication'. Rather, the author
starts from two given sets of data (population / phoneme inventory) and
sets up an ad hoc implication ('verified' with the help of statistical
considerations). In this case, we need a full description of those
properties of both the antecedent and the consequent that produce a
'relevant relation' between them. Personally, I cannot fully understand
how this should be done. One main point is that you have to define a
population via 'language', that is you include the consequent in the
antecedent, which is highly problematic when construing implications. In
addition, we need a criterion that allows us to correlate population and
language at all. The problem is that the notion 'population' (when
referred to in Atkinson's sense) is marked for a demographic factor that
again 'counts' biological 'substance' (hard data). On the other hand,
'language' is not an 'object', but a variable that may or may not be
correlated with these data. For instance, if one claims that a
population is defined e.g. by sharing a set of economic strategies, one
would arrive at totally different hypotheses. In fact, you cannot
predict which language is spoken by a group of people (not to speak by
an individual or a "human fossil"). So, you have to replace 'population'
by 'speech community'. But again, this does not help very much: If you
start from the individual (who normally initiates language change), its
'speech community' usually is much smaller than the fictitious overall
'speech community': Such a 'speech community' normally is a network of
smaller communities sharing 'human interfaces' that belong to more than
one smaller 'speech community'. In this sense, the overall number of
speakers of a speech community defined by one language is not the
relevant figure: What matters is the number of speakers in the smaller
communities that are marked for constant and mutual linguistic practice.
So, in reality, most 'speech communities' are rather 'small' (some
people say that an individual in a pre-modern society was in constant
discourse with maximally 100 people). Now, if language is structured
also by such factors as interactional types that control the shaping and
re-shaping of linguistic signs, then the demographic factors becomes
only relevant with respect to the degree of interaction. In other words:
It is the demography of a 'speech community in interaction' that counts
(if ever), not the overall population marked for using the 'same' language.

Here, I refrain from discussing the hypothesis according to which
smaller communities allow more lexical ambiguities than 'larger
communities' (thus 'reducing' the need for larger sets of phonological
oppositions). Let me just say that given the fact that people always
live and communicate in smaller social networks this hypothesis loses
ground. In addition, you can easily turn around this argument: In a
larger social network, ambiguities should be much more pronounced
because a speaker has to respect very different 'states of knowledge'.
Being too explicit would set them at risk to isolate them from their
interactional partners. Also, the hypothesis does no explain in details,
how preference for ambiguity should effect a phonological system at all:
A phonological system is mainly defined by the set of lexical and
morphological linguistic signs used in a speech community. The rise of
degree of ambiguity (or: inference) would mean that certain concepts
(signifiés) that are too specific no longer become expressed by their
corresponding signifiants. But why should this happen especially to
those sets of linguistic signs that are marked for specific phonological
values? Vagueness, the allowance of inference, and ambiguity concern
concepts, not their articulation.....

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Am 17.04.2011 08:30, schrieb Johanna Nichols:
> This is written up to be more or less self-standing, but please DON'T
> QUOTE it without asking me first -- I'm expanding the sample for this and
> there will be changes.
>
> Johanna
>

> Atkinson 2011 finds a significant positive correlation between population
> size and phoneme inventory size (confirming Hay&  Bauer 2007) and explains
> it by migration:  phoneme sizes are largest in Africa, and as societies
> spread out of Africa and around the world they went through population and
> cultural bottlenecks and underwent phonological simplification as a
> consequence.  I believe the correlation is artifactual.
>
> As background, Sproat 2011 points out that Atkinson's language sizes range
> from a few tens of speakers to hundreds of millions of speakers.  But
> population sizes in the Paleolithic were small, probably at most a few
> thousand speakers and often fewer.  If Atkinson's explanation is correct,
> the positive correlation between population size and phoneme inventory
> size should also hold among just the smaller population sizes; looking at
> Fig. S1, there does still seem to be a positive correlation, but it looks
> considerably weaker.  I agree with Sproat on all these points.
>
> In Nichols 2009, a cross-linguistic survey of overall grammatical
> complexity, I found a highly significant negative correlation between
> overall complexity and population size:  smaller communities have more
> complex languages.  But that proves to be an artifact of the larger
> population sizes and lower structural complexity in Africa and Eurasia:
> within subglobal areas (Old World, Pacific, New World) there is no
> correlation.  The large language-population sizes in Africa and Eurasia
> have to do with the long history of statehood and empire (which spread big
> state languages at the expense of smaller ones), economic growth, and
> efficient food production (themselves accidents of geography: Diamond
> 1997).  Also, European colonization brought smallpox and economic
> destruction to the Americas and Australia, drastically reducing
> populations, and the population figures we have are post-colonial.  Big
> trade languages, state languages, and other inter-ethnic languages tend to
> be simpler than small ethnic languages (Trudgill 2009, Szmrecsanyi&
> Kortmann 2009, Dahl 2004), and there have been many more of these in
> Africa and Eurasia than in the pre-contact Americas and Pacific.
>
> So, does Atkinson's positive correlation in phonology hold within large
> areas as well as worldwide?  I took the data on phonological complexity
> from my 2009 paper, quickly surveyed a few more languages to fill gaps,
> and did some counts.  Now, my data measures phonological complexity
> (consonant inventory size, vowel inventory size, suprasegmentals, syllable
> complexity), not quite the same thing as what Atkinson measures, but
> certainly getting at the same thing.  My figures for population size may
> [...]

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze *

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486 (Secretary)

0049-(0)89-2180-5343 (Office)

Fax:  0049-(0)89-2180-5345

Email: W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
<mailto:W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de>/// Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de
<mailto:Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de>

Web: http://www.ats.lmu.de/index.html

Personal homepage: http://www.wolfgangschulze.in-devir.com

Diese e-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind bzw.
diese e-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte umgehend
den Absender und vernichten Sie diese e-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren
sowie das unbefugte Verwenden und Weitergeben vertraulicher e-Mails oder
etwaiger, mit solchen e-Mails verbundener Anhänge im Ganzen oder in
Teilen ist nicht gestattet. Ferner wird die Haftung für jeglichen
Verlust oder Schaden, insbesondere durch virenbefallene e-Mails
ausgeschlossen.