Atkinson on phoneme inventories in Science

Gideon Goldenberg msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Tue Apr 19 19:37:39 UTC 2011

Just a couple of queries: (1) Looking in the WALS at the maps that show the distribution of Consonant Inventories and Vowel Quality Inventories according to theis sizes, may one ask how come that nothing like a correlation between size of phoneme inventory and distance from Africa can be detected? (2) How the size of the population of a speech community is measured? Is, eg, the German speaking people one speech community, or the speakers of Arabic dialects, not to mention prehistoric African dialectology? Other questions may wait, including the question of the size of prehistoric communities in general.
Gideon.