Antipassives without overt expression of O

Bjoern Wiemer wiemerb at UNI-MAINZ.DE
Tue Dec 20 18:02:23 UTC 2011

Dear Stefanie,
you might want to consult Emma Geniušienė's seminal book on the
"typoloigy of Reflexioves" (1987), where she also describes "absolute"
diathesis (valency reduction), which is close to what you are asking
for. In East Slavic and Lithuanian (Baltic) transitive verbs (normally
with a general meaning of beating, hitting, biting or similar) can be
marked with the reflexive marker and don't allow for coding the
Undergoer (your O) and then just state a general property of the
referent. Cf. Russ. (1b).
The same applies for Wst Slavic, where however no RM is used. Instead,
the verb is left without any additional marker and the Undergoer is
blocked. See (2b) for Polish (the same meanings).

(1a) Lošad' ljagaet sobaku. 'The horse is hitting / hits the dog (with
its hoofs).'
(1b) Vnimanie! Lošad' ljagaet-sja. (-sja = agglutinated RM) 'Be careful!
The/this horse can/is able to/likes to hit (with its hoofs).'

(2a) Koń kopie psa.
(2b) Uważaj! Koń kopie. (no marker)

Best,
Björn Wiemer.

--
Björn Wiemer
Professor für Slavische Sprachwissenschaft
e-mail: wiemerb at uni-mainz.de
http://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/wiemerb/