Post-predicate Goals in OV languages

Geoffrey Haig geoffrey.haig at UNI-BAMBERG.DE
Wed Jul 20 15:15:37 UTC 2011

Dear Typologists,

The background to my query:

I am working on a group of West Iranian languages spoken in the
Turkish/Iranian/Iraqi border regions. They are regularly classified as
OV, but frequently place "Goal" arguments after the predicate. "Goal" is
used here as a cover term for:

- Goals of verbs of motion
- Recipients of verbs of transfer
- Addressees of verbs of speech

  Text counts in one of the languages reveals between 80-90% of all
Goals (in the above sense) are post-predicate; this is clearly the
dominant order. The figure varies according to the areal distribution of
these languages, and in fact provides an interesting measure of
areally-determined micro-variation in syntax.

An interesting additional fact is that it is extremely common in these
languages that the post-predicate Goals lack any overt flagging (while
the pre-predicate ones require it).

  Unfortunately the typological literature I am aware of gives little
information on this topic: WALS feature 84A (order of Oblique, Object
and Verb) does not discuss Recipients, nor does it look at Goals with
intransitives, while Feature 105A (ditransitives with 'give') does not
discuss word order.

So here is my question, directed at those who work on OV languages
outside Iranian, and outside the region concerned:

- can you give me any pointers to literature describing this feature (or
noting its absence), or indication from your own work on how widespread
such post-predicate Goals are?

Note: I am solely concerned with full NP Goals, not pronouns (which may
pattern quite differently).

- If post-predicate Goals are found, are there restrictions on the
semantic sub-type, or their formal marking? For example, Addressees in
"my" languages are generally less prone to appear after the predicate
than local or recipient goals, though this varies across the region.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

cheers

Geoff

--