Free translations of genderless reference forms

Liisa Berghäll liisa.berghall at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 8 19:43:01 UTC 2011

I have no answer whether there is a standard way to handle the free translation of the gender-neutral 3 person pronouns.   But in the Mauwake reference grammar I  did like Elena Bashir suggests. In narrative texts it is usually possible to find out the gender of a referent, but I would claim that there are also genuine cases of text examples where the context does not provide a clue for the gender, e.g. If a person is hit by a car, (s)he needs to be taken to the hospital.  In cases like this I used (s)he - and I also explained this usage in the introduction where I discussed the data & examples.

My mother tongue, Finnish, does not have a gender distinction in the 3 person pronouns, and sometimes it is hard to decide whether to use he, she or they in English for the Finnish gender-neutral 3s hän. There are lots of cases where the gender distinction just isn’t there at all (and there is no ‘informant’s gender assumption’),  but for the translation the distinction has to be forced, when the target language requires it.

Liisa Berghäll

From: Discussion List for ALT [mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Wolfgang Schulze
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 5:31 PM
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Free translations of genderless reference forms

I think, Elena's way of handling the problem is rather straightforward. However, I would not only refer to (linguistic) co-text, but also to non-linguistic context. By this I mean, that examples stemming from informants also include the informant's hypothesis about the gender of the referential entity referred to by a (then) exophoric pronoun. Hence, the linguist should always try in such cases to elicit the informant's 'gender assumption' together with the phrase itself. In other words: The speaker's/informant's knowledge system ~ practice concerning gender reference is part of the documentation of an actual utterance. In' well aware of the fact that this is not always easy to do. But just as an informant cannot ignore a proposed gender when asked to translate a sentence from say English or Russian to their native tongue, we cannot and must not ignore the speaker's/informant's own tradition. Only in case examples are construed by ourselves, the s/he-option makes sense. It then simply indicates 'underspecification' (with respect to the source language) or 'overspecification' with respect to the metalanguage.

As for interlinear glosses, things are more easy to handle. Here, we can simply put the corresponding etiquettes, such as ANAPH, or DX or so, in case the language at issue does not mark gender.

Bes wishes,
Wolfgang