Mouton "discounts" for ALT members

Frans Plank frans.plank at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Fri Nov 11 17:15:02 UTC 2011

Dear all,

since Bill continues on this list to specifically blame De Gruyter
Mouton of depriving the typological community of something desirable
(and I couldn't agree more that a higher discount on grammars and
other typological titles for ALT members ARE desirable -- from any
publishers, but especially from such publishers where editors vouch
for quality with their good names), here's a few thoughts on his point.

I have no inside knowledge of De Gruyter Mouton's profit margins, but
I would be genuinely surprised if they made a lot of money with MGL,
or for that matter also with LT.  (Uri could give you particulars, I
assume;  the editors of MGL could fill you in on MGL sales, without
and with discounts.  For comparison, for the profit margin of a
publisher not publishing anything like MGL, Elsevier, see the link
provided by Sebastian earlier in this thread, http://svpow.wordpress.com/2011/10/22/economics-of-open-source-publishing/.)
   It would seem more probable to me that such ventures as MGL are
actually losing DeGM money, and on economic grounds they should go
Elsevier's way.

Now, what I'd urge Bill to do, before continuing to bash DeGM, is to
compare their grammar production with those of CUP, OUP, Routledge and
others, forgetting about Elsevier for the moment:  these publishers do
make a lot of money from grammars and dictionaries and other learning/
teaching materials of English and a very few other "major" languages
(and from long lists of linguistics textbooks, again often with a
strong English focus), and they do not seem to channel much if any of
their profits back into producing grammars and dictionaries of "minor"
languages.

"English Language" in particular is a huge industry in the UK (one of
the biggest -- if not THE biggest, along with hedgefond management and
other frauds such as sports & betting (sorry, Martin, I don't want to
rob you of your obvious fascination with the Champions League)), and
academic publishers are part of it.  Regrettably, "other" languages
are benefitting next to nothing from it, not even academically, with
"other" languages playing only a very minor and apparently shrinking
role in UK linguistics.

In short, I find it rather misguided and unfair of typologists, of all
linguists, to specifically attack DeGM, of all academic publishers.
There would seem to be more obvious and more deserving targets for
complaint.

This was only speaking to Bill's particular point.  There are lots of
valuable things being said in this thread on questions of quality
publishing with commercial publishers and otherwise.

Frans