Crowdsourcing grammars, or the death of the (grammar) book. WAS: Publishing; Mouton "discounts" for ALT members

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Wed Nov 16 08:45:34 UTC 2011

I would certainly second David's expression of gratitude to Harry for his very lucid and helpful analysis of the situation, but I would also second David's own remarks about the continuing need for books, to which I would add articles. There was a discussion a few years ago on this list that arose because of different practices in research assessment in different countries. I had at the time just been a member of a panel assessing humanities research in a number of Dutch universities and our guidance told us to concentrate on the published outputs and not on the support materials (databases, digitised manuscript collections, video material, etc). This was in direct contrast to the procedures operative in the UK's research assessment exercises which admit not just publications but all kinds of digital, video and audio material as primary outputs which can be directly assessed rather than evaluated indirectly through the publications they generate.
Things have moved on since then - in Harry's terms we are a bit further away from 1492 (with time, I assume, being measured on a logarithmic scale!). Nonetheless, there is a strong view amongst many of my colleagues in natural sciences that what count are still papers in refereed, high impact factor journals - to which in our case we can add books published by well-reputed publishing houses. What has changed however is that an increasing use is made of the web as the place to locate the datasets or other material on which the analyses are based, so that a paper will commonly have its own internal weblink, to which I as a reader and fellow researcher can have access if I wish to check the underlying data and the calculations. In short we need both data (whether in the form of databases or descriptive materials such as grammars) and analyses of data (i.e. books and articles). And for both what we need is some kitemark of quality both to secure the foundations of the scientific endeavour and also for more worldly considerations of promotion and professional advancement. The challenge remains to achieve this in a relatively cost-free way.  For, as Lindsay and others rightly remind us, there are always some costs and we have to work out how to meet those if we are to proceed with an online, open access but quality controlled venture of the kind that it seems several of us think would be worthwhile.

Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Honorary Professor of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Vice-President for Research & HE Policy, The British Academy

School of Languages, Linguistics & Cultures
The University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL
UK

(+ 44) (0)161 275 3194