Crowdsourcing grammars, or the death of the (grammar) book. WAS: Publishing; Mouton "discounts" for ALT members

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Wed Nov 16 11:44:19 UTC 2011

It was interesting to read David's remarks, with which I fully agree, about the continued need for grammars and why it would be a mistake to think that they could be replaced by data bases. I had just heard from a psycholinguist the other day that linguists have no business writing grammars. That they should only provide data bases. The reason? Linguists are not trained in scientific methodology (i.e. psychology) and therefore their grammars are nothing more than speculations. Leave out the speculation and you have a data base.

The problem with the reasoning, aside from the fact that grammars are much more than speculations, is that databases reflect point of view and theory as much as grammars. Unless they are nothing more than dumps of all the data one has ever collected. I suppose that we could take the garbage-dump + scavaging approach to language work. But for the reasons David mentions, and more, this is probably not a good idea.

Dan