passive/causative homonymy

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri Sep 16 11:43:12 UTC 2011

Dear Wolfgang & others,

As for Estonian, the Finnic passive marker really is a combination of causative TTA and reflexive SEN (with a slot between these for tense or mood markers), the latter of which can be left out in some forms such as the connegative ones (which leads to homonymy as in Estonian ei soovi-ta NEG wish-TTA ‘does not recommend’ ~ ‘is not wished’). Structurally similar is the (fairly obsolete) Hungarian passive, consisting of causative (T)AT and reflexive/intransitive IK, as in használ-tat-ik ‘is used’. So, the motivation is (to use the example from Tapani Lehtinen's (1982) standard work on the Finnic passive): ‘has himself killed' > ‘gets killed, is killed’.

Best
JL
--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)