Causatives and coding of participants

Chao Li chao.li at AYA.YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 17 18:33:22 UTC 2012

Dear Typologists,

I was wondering whether there were languages that have productive
morphological causatives and a (rich) case-marking system, but show the
following pattern when the base verb of the causative is monotransitive.
Suppose the base verb is "build" and it is used in a causative sentence
that means "Tim made John build the house" but which is a morphological
causative (i.e. in the form of a base verb together with a productive
causative affix), not a periphrastic causative seen in the English
translation. With respect to such a morphological causative, I was
wondering whether there were languages in which *Tim *has the same coding
as the subject of a non-causative monotransitive sentence, *John* the same
coding as the object of a non-causative monotransitive sentence, and *the
house* the same coding as the indirect object of a ditransitive verb.
Glossed examples and pointers about works containing such examples would be
greatly appreciated! Please send your response directly to me.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and help!

Best regards,
Chao Li