given names

Don Killian donald.killian at HELSINKI.FI
Wed Jul 25 19:28:37 UTC 2012

Dear Frederick,

Something just came to mind (a bit belated since you already sent a
summary) about a language I'm working on, Uduk.. nowadays they're often
using Christian names, so it's not quite the same thing as earlier (but
it's not gone either!), but in earlier times Uduk didn't actually even
keep a single name throughout their life.

It wasn't a "stage of life" name-change, which is more familiar to
linguists/anthropologists, but something rather a bit more impermanent.
  Names were supposed to be highly individual and non-recurring (you
shouldn't ever name someone after someone else, living or dead).  But
even after a unique birth name, it was also common to get a "nickname"
by different people depending on how you knew them or how they
associated you, and these nicknames often ended up superseding the
original name.  It more focuses on the relationship between the people
rather than the individual itself.

Thus there are lots of words in Uduk for "name one person calls another
when they eat meat together"  or "name one person calls another when
they have hunted together", "name one person calls another if they share
the same birth name", etc.  In regards to your original question, many
of these are for men or for women, since they're things that only men or
only women do together, but perhaps it's interesting to hear about a
culture which doesn't even really use permanent names at all.

If you're interested in learning more, I suggest the article:

James, Wendy (1978). Ephemeral names: the Uduk case. in: Aspects of
language in the Sudan, ed. Robin Thelwall. New Univ. of Ulster.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9706227/james_uduk-names1978.pdf is a link to
the article in case you can't find it.

Best Regards,

Don