Typological survey of harmony systems

Alexis Dimitriadis A.Dimitriadis at UU.NL
Thu Jul 26 13:02:45 UTC 2012

Dear Emily,

The TDS does have some information on vowel and consonant harmony, which
comes from the SyllTyp database (van der Hulst & Goedemans). I see data
on 67 languages: 22 with vowel harmony rules (including a brief
description of the rules), and  45 without. There's only one language
listed with consonant harmony, Hungarian.

Best,

Alexis

PS. On the old TDS interface (http://languagelink.let.uu.nl/tds/) you
can also visualize the data on a map.

On 21/07/2012 19:03, Emily M. Bender wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Just a quick summary to the list of what I have received so far.
> No one has been able to suggest a world-wide survey, but
> Yvonne Treis pointed out Ursula Drolc's survey in African languages:
>
> http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/afrikanistik/forschung/ressourcen/vokalharmonie/index.html
>
> with the associated list of languages and references:
>
> http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/afrikanistik/forschung/ressourcen/vokalharmonie/literatur/index.html
>
> And Harry van der Hulst directed me to his bibliography in Oxford
> Bibliographies Online:
>
> http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199772810/obo-9780199772810-0087.xml
>
> Emily
>
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Emily M. Bender
> <ebender at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm looking for an estimate of prevalence of vowel harmony in the
>> world's languages.  Neither WALS nor TDS has vowel harmony
>> as a feature (that I can tell).  Has anyone done a large scale
>> survey of harmony phenomena?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Emily
>

> --