[FUNKNET] Upper limits to morpheme length

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Sat Dec 21 18:56:15 UTC 2013

Marianne,

Thanks. I certainly agree with what you say.

So, let us just say, any morpheme, though I bound morphemes are what I had in mind originally.

To reiterate, what I am asking is not if people have an opinion on the matter (which is not what you said at all, Marianne, but what some have said off-line) but whether anyone knows of a theory that proposes to derive an upper bound on morpheme length.

"Tend to be small" I certainly agree with. And I think that cognitive - whether learnability or processing -  reasons are implicated. But that is not my theory. Just my hunch. I was interested in identifying a theory, should one exist, that derives the length limits and says what "small" is and why.

I suspect that none exists. And I doubt that one should. But, again, that's just me thinking overtly in electrons at my computer.

Dan