Gender and Noun Class

Matthew Dryer dryer at BUFFALO.EDU
Fri May 10 12:35:33 UTC 2013

Don,

First, my understanding of what Corbett means when he says “genders
always have a semantic core” is not that semantics is the main criterion
for differentiation, just that there is a semantic core.For example,
many languages have a masculine-feminine distinction that is largely
arbitrary for more than 95% of the nouns, but for which there is a small
number of nouns where the gender assignment is based on semantic male
versus female, which constitutes the semantic core.Hence you would need
to tell us more about gender in Uduk to provide a basis for saying that
Uduk differs from other languages with gender.

Second, for any choice of label, it is always a specific category in a
specific language to which the label is attached.You can use a term like
gender for this category in Uduk and explain what the Uduk category is
like to circumvent assumptions people may make about gender in Uduk.If
you do that and some readers continue to make assumptions that don’t fit
Uduk, it will only be because they have not read what you have
said.Using some other label would be far more confusing and misleading
than using gender or noun class.When a category in a language deviates
from prototypical instances of similar categories in other languages, it
is always better to use a familiar term and explain immediately how the
category in one’s language is different from similar categories in other
language than to use a new label.The most opaque descriptions of
languages are generally those that insist on using novel labels for
categories.

I hope this helps,

Matthew