NEG Raising

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Fri May 17 01:31:26 UTC 2013

Chris (and others),

Several colloquial varieties of Indonesian (eg. Riau Indonesian) lack
NEG raising.  In a paper (which I've only presented orally, and haven't
written up yet) I argue that this is part of a more general tendency for
colloquial Indonesian to exhibit greater isomorphism between syntactic
and semantic structures than many other more familiar languages.

(A complicating factor is that colloquial Indonesian tends to avoid
embedding in general -- much more than equally colloquial varieties of
English and other European languages -- and thus, constructions such as
'I think John is a werewolf' are rarely used.  However, they ARE
grammatical, and 'I don't think John is a werewolf' cannot mean 'I think
that John is not a werewolf'.)

I'll be really curious to find out, from your query, how widepsread the
absence of NEG raising is across the languages of the world.

Best,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/