NEG Raising

Bjoern Wiemer wiemerb at UNI-MAINZ.DE
Fri May 17 10:24:32 UTC 2013

Dear Christopher (and all),
thanks for raising the issue of NEG-raising! In light of your mail and
the response by David Gil I would like to make two comments and one
request on what you two observed.
     In his classical paper on complementation Noonan (2007 [1985]:
100f.) gave examples with NEG-raising in English with the CTP-verbs
"think, believe, want". He gave the examples cited below, the first pair
coincides with yours. Now, in a footnote (f. 21) Noonan remarked that
sentence (214b) is ambiguous, since it allows for both a reading with
and without NEG-raising (i.e. in the latter case there would only
negation of the CTP). He added that this ambiguity might be conditioned
by "a commitment/non-commitment interpretation of the speaker's
evaluation of the complement proposition" (with further references).

(214a)    I think that Floyd didn't hit Roscoe.
(214b)    I don't think that Floyd hit Roscoe.

(215a)    Zeke believes that Martians don't live in caves.
(215b)    Zeke doesn't believe that Martians live in caves.

(216a)    Hugh wants Mary Ann not to win.
(216b)    Hugh doesn't want Mary Ann to win.

David Gil wrote that "'I don't think John is a werewolf' cannot mean 'I
think that John is not a werewolf'". Would other native speakers judge
the same way?

Thus, two questions arise (in my view). First, wouldn't this judgment
depend on how much commitment you ascribe to your epistemic attitude
toward the proposition in the complement? Second, do such ambiguities
(and possible differences in judgments between native speakers of the
same language) show up with other verbs of the same conceptual domain
(epistemic attitude, report on speech acts, volition, etc.)? Noonan made
his remark quoted above only with respect to "think", "believe" seems to
behave differently. What about other verbs denoting epistemic attitudes
in English?
     From this my request arises: Has anybody  worked on such
ambiguities and tried to make up a classification of CTP-verbs (of
epistemic attitude, volitional, etc.) within ONE language, and be it
English. That is to say: apart from _cross_linguistic variation with
respect to the liability toward complementation in general (and the way
complementation is marked syntactically or by lexical means), it would
be interesting to understand whether predicates denoting epistemic
attitudes show variation within even one language, and what are the
conditions.
     I would be ready to collect such information and make a small
digest out of it, if anybody sends me pertinent references or reports.
Anyway, I'd be grateful to know more about this issue.

Best regards,
Björn Wiemer.

--
Björn Wiemer
Professor für Slavische Sprachwissenschaft
e-mail: wiemerb at uni-mainz.de
http://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/wiemerb/