NEG Raising

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Fri May 17 12:01:09 UTC 2013

Pirahã lacks Neg raising.

In recent work (e.g. my article in WIREs Cogn Sci 2012. doi: 10.1002/wcs.1195, What does Piraha have to teach us about human language and the mind?) I argue that this is evidence against recursion in Pirahã. However, as David Gil makes clear, this could also be accounted for by simply saying that Piraha lacks Neg-raising, since if Gil is right, languages with recursion also bar Neg-raising. (In the Pirahã case, the absence of Neg-raising is part of a larger pattern.)

Dan