NEG Raising

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Fri May 17 13:15:20 UTC 2013

Dear Björn (and all),

Björn's comments have made it clear to me that I need to qualify my
previous statement to the effect that colloquial Indonesian "lacks NEG
raising".  Whereas for the equivalents of 'think' (which would be
/ingat, kata, rasa, kira/ or /fikir/ depending on region) I'm still
pretty sure that NEG raising is unavailable, for some of the other verbs
that he, or rather Mickey Noonan cite, I suspect NEG raising is indeed
possible.  In particular, I'm pretty sure that it is possible for the
equivalent of 'want' (/mau/), in examples corresponding to (216b)
below.  My feeling remains that NEG raising is significantly more
restricted in colloquial Indonesian than in, say, English, but I think
Björn is right that one needs to examine a range of different predicates.

(BTW, contrary to the implicature in Björn's message, I am not a native
speaker of any variety of colloquial Indonesian; the claims I make about
it are based on years of immersion, plus the usual research methods of
corpus collection and elicitation.)

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/