affix pleonasm crosslinguistically

Tasaku Tsunoda tsunoda at NINJAL.AC.JP
Fri Apr 4 03:21:37 UTC 2014

Dear Franceso,

    In addition to my posting of 2 April (08:33, Japanese time), I should
add the following.

    In the Warrongo language of northeast Australia, nouns generally do not
make a number distinction. For example bama can mean 'a man' and 'men'.
    However, there is at least one exception.
    The noun galbin seems to mean 'a child' and 'children'.
    In addition, we have galbiri 'children'. This word seems to imply 'many
children'.

    In this context, the paragraph from pp. 230-231 of the following book is
relevant.

Tsunoda, Tasaku, 2011. A grammar of Warrongo. (Mouton Grammar Library 43).
Berlin and New York: De Gruyter Mouton.

    The paragraph is cited below.

=================
In Warrongo, the only unequivocal plural form of any noun is galbiri
‘children’. In Japanese, nouns generally do not make a number distinction,
e.g. gakusee ‘a student, students’. But the suffix -domo or the suffix
-tati, both ‘plural’, can be added to nouns with human referents, e.g.
gakusee-domo and gakusee-tati ‘student-plural’, i.e. ‘students’. Now,
compare ko ‘a child, children’, ko-domo ‘a child, children’, and
ko-domo-tati ‘children’ (not ‘a child’). This suggests that -domo in ko-domo
‘a child, children’ no longer functions as a plural affix, and another
plural suffix (-tati) is added to mark plurality. That is, etymologically
ko-domo-tati ‘children’ contains two plural suffixes. No doubt the double
plural-marking in child-r-en of English followed the same process. All these
suggest the following possibility: if a given language has nouns with plural
marking, they will include the noun that refers to ‘child’. And if a given
language has nouns with double plural-marking, they will include the noun
that refers to ‘child’.

--
Tasaku Tsunoda