ergative to accusative alignment

Florian Siegl florian.siegl at GMX.NET
Thu Jan 9 08:32:56 UTC 2014

A related phenomena though only partly answering the initial posting is
attested on Kamtchatka. Chukchi and Koryak show ergative alignment, but
not Itelmen. The Itelmen absolute case marks S as well as A and P.
Whether the Itelmen transitive verbal agreement markers still follow
erg-abs alignment is not settled. Itelmen is not ergative but apparently
not very nominative-accusative either. See the relevant sections in
Georg, Stefan & Volodin, Alexander P. 1999. Die itelmenische Sprache -
Grammatik und Texte. Tunguso-Sibirca 5. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz.

Best wishes,

Florian Siegl