ergative to accusative alignment

Don Killian donald.killian at HELSINKI.FI
Thu Jan 9 07:03:05 UTC 2014

Dear Raheleh,

Depending on what you might be including by ergative, there's an
interesting article by Dimmendaal 2012
(http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/afrikanistik/mitarbeit/dimmendaal/Marked%20nominative%20in%20Eastern%20Sudanic%20130907%20DR%20comments.pdf)
in which he postulates the origins of Marked Nominative (depending on
who you ask, some consider this a subcategory of accusative alignment)
in Eastern Sudanic languages.

Gaahmg is particularly interesting as far as diachronic developments go,
as it also has both passive and antipassive constructions and in fact
can allow for both types of markers simultaneously.  If you're curious,
email me and I can send you an article by Tim Stirtz.

Best,

Don

--
Don Killian