ergative to accusative alignment

Daniel Hieber -- ============================================================ Ljuba Veselinova, Associate Professor Dept of Linguistics, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden Phone: +46-8-16-2332 Fax: +46-8-15 5389 URL : http://www2.ling.su.se/staff/ljuba/ "We learn by going where we want to go." Julia Cameron ============================================================ dwhieb at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 9 18:58:08 UTC 2014

Richard, that’s a great point. Bickel et al. (2013) provide an excellent illustration of this issue, which they call ‘Siewierska’s Problem’ in memory of Anna and her seminal (2003) article on alignment in ditransitive constructions. There she points out that verbal person marking can show different patterns of alignment depending on whether one examines the trigger potential, morphological form, position, or conditioning factors of the person forms. Bickel et al. then show that discrepancies among these different criteria are in fact extremely common crosslinguistically. So the descriptive linguist needs to be very specific about the details of alignment, and make sure they're comparing like with like when comparing synchronic or diachronic data.

References

Bickel, Balthasar, Giorgio Iemmolo, Taras Zakharko & Alena Witzlack-Makarevich. 2013. Patterns of alignment in verb agreement. In Dik Bakker & Martin Haspelmath (eds.), Languages Across Boundaries: Studies in Memory of Anna Siewierska. 15-36. De Gruyter.

Siewierska, Anna. 2013. Person agreement and the determination of alignment. In Dunstan Brown, Greville G. Corbett & Carole Tiberius (eds.), Agreement: A Typological Perspective. 339-370. Wiley-Blackwell.

Daniel W. Hieber
Graduate Student in Linguistics
University of California, Santa Barbara
www.danielhieber.com