AW: compounds vs. noun phrases

Gardani, Francesco Francesco.Gardani at WU.AC.AT
Fri Mar 28 16:31:11 UTC 2014

For a very recent paper, see:

Sven Kotowski, Katja Böer and Holden Härtl. 2014. Compounds vs. phrases. The cognitive status of morphological products. In: Rainer, Franz, Francesco Gardani, Hans Christian Luschützky and Wolfgang U. Dressler (eds.), Morphology and Meaning: Selected papers from the 15th International Morphology Meeting, Vienna, February 2012 .<https://benjamins.com/#catalog/books/cilt.327> 2014. viii, 350 pp. (pp. 191–204)

Francesco Gardani

Von: Discussion List for ALT [mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] Im Auftrag von Hans Götzsche
Gesendet: Freitag, 28. März 2014 16:58
An: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Betreff: Re: compounds vs. noun phrases

Dear Sergey,

The issues are taken up in

Libben & Jarema (2006): The Representation and Processing of Compound Words. Oxford: OUP

and also (as far as I remember) also in

Pavol Stekauer and Rochelle Lieber (2005): Handbook of Word-Formation. Studies in Natural Language and Linguistic Theory. Dordrecht: Springer.

(and in other publications by Stekauer).

I have made a minor contribution to the de Gruyter volume on word formation in the HSK series so I know it's 'in press' (or ought to be), and you may contact

Prof. Dr. Susan Olsen
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
https://www.angl.hu-berlin.de/staff/609380

if you would like to try to get pre-publication access to some of the theoretical entries.

If you want a special approach to the problem like the Generative one you may check the huge amount of publications in Generative LIngvuistics. I don't agree with these approaches to compounding but it may enlightening to see how they do it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hans Götzsche

cand.phil., Fil.Dr.